Illovo holds a 90% shareholding in Maragra Açúcar SA with the balance of shares owned by a private minority investor. Maragra is situated adjacent to the coastline of Mozambique, approximately 80 kilometres north of Maputo. There are four sugar producers in the country with combined production capacity of more than 380 000 tons of sugar per annum. Depending on annual production levels, around 60% of sugar is sold to local consumer and industrial markets and the balance exported to preferential markets in the EU.
- Situated in the Manhiça district, north of Maputo
- Produces raw sugar, marketed domestically by industry marketing association
- Internal electricity generation
- 1 043 permanent employees
- 3 760 seasonal agricultural workers at peak periods
Corporate Citizenship Report